BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Facade

A burden of secrets
is not a life I care for
It seems such a facade
is all too common.
A look, a smirk
a motive hidden
all behind a smile
and sweet guile.
It seems this mask
this facade has become
the quotidian standard
to this American life.
It seems everyone
has a secret, their purpose
and hides the wit
so used to tear one down.
Every mask has another.
Frivolous layers to deceive
A voice for each acquaintance
and a style for each smile.
The snark and wit
have been lost
to generations trained
only in mischief,
in betrayal and want.
How petty the games
How cutthroat the lives.
Loyalty is relative.
Honesty is destroyed
and trust is lost.
Play the game,
get what you want,
then play again
so you don't get caught.



© copyright by Michèle Aimée Lahaie, 2010

2 comments:

Stephen Monteith said...

That's why my philosophy is to trust the "crazy" people; they're not afraid to show you who they really are. It's the ones who act "normal" all the time who are hiding something.

Aimée said...

:)
too true. I actually found myself getting accused of false things -- only to find out tonight that these were things that my accusers themselves were guilty of, and trying to cover up by saying I was doing them! hah! People amaze me with their insolence and presumptuous behavior.